FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Can I have the police department run a tag, check a driver’s license, or see if there is a warrant for someone?

Absolutely not. Florida regulations prohibit the police department from sharing information from the statewide FCIC/NCIC computer system with non law enforcment personnel. The department can be fined and/or lose its terminal for violating these regulations. The Brevard County Tag Agency can run a tag for you and the Florida Driver’s License office can run a driver’s license check.

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?

Unfortunately, because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the police department does not open locked vehicles. We will assist you by contacting a locksmith for you if you wish. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will respond to remove the child from the vehicle. This may require the breaking of a window.

Does the police department fingerprint citizens for background checks or employment purposes and when can I have my fingerprints done? What is the cost?

Yes, fingerprinting is done on Thursdays from 2:00pm until 3:30pm. There is a $3.00 fee  per card for residents of the Town and a $7.00 fee per card for non residents. You must bring your fingerprint card with you. It must be filled out in black ink and you MUST have a valid picture ID.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were in a traffic accident?

The Police department dispatch center does not have the names of persons involved in accidents available. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call themselves, we will notify their family.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?

ABSOLUTELY! The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. You will be asked questions about the activity to determine its nature for descriptions of the people involved. You may be asked if you would like an officer to contact you, however, you may remain anonymous if you wish.

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?

The police department can only have vehicles towed that are on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area and the vehicle will be towed away at no cost to you. The wrecker service will notify the owners once they have determined ownership.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?

Call the Police Department, ask to speak to a Patrol Supervisor and request that this area be placed on selective enforcement.

What if I have a question about the status of my case?

Cases involving criminal acts which appear to have some basis of solvability are referred to a Detective for further investigation. To inquire about your case, call the police department at (321)723-3512 and ask to speak to a Detective.

Why am I asked so many questions when I call the police?

Dispatchers are trained to gather as much information as possible in order to determine the nature and seriousness of the problem. On emergency calls, the dispatcher will relay information to the officer while asking you additional questions.

Why does it take longer for the police to respond to certain calls?

All requests for police services are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. Occasionally, less serious calls must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.