Frequently Asked Questions

Why does it take longer for the police to respond to certain calls?
All requests for police services are prioritized based on the seriousness of the incident and the potential for injury or damage to property. Occasionally, less serious calls must be delayed so that we can respond immediately to emergencies.

Why am I asked so many questions when I call the police?
Dispatchers are trained to gather as much information as possible in order to determine the nature and seriousness of the problem. On emergency calls, the dispatcher will relay information to the officer while asking you additional questions.

Does the police department fingerprint citizens for background checks or employment purposes and when can I have my fingerprints done? What is the cost?
Yes, fingerprinting is done on Thursdays from 2:00pm until 3:30pm. There is a $3.00 fee  per card for residents of the Town and a $7.00 fee per card for non residents. You must bring your fingerprint card with you. It must be filled out in black ink and you MUST have a valid picture ID.

Can I have the police department run a tag, check a driver’s license, or see if there is a warrant for someone?
Absolutely not. Florida regulations prohibit the police department from sharing information from the statewide FCIC/NCIC computer system with non law enforcment personnel. The department can be fined and/or lose its terminal for violating these regulations. The Brevard County Tag Agency can run a tag for you and the Florida Driver’s License office can run a driver’s license check.

Can the police open my car if I have locked my keys inside?
Unfortunately, because of the potential for damage to vehicles, the police department does not open locked vehicles. We will assist you by contacting a locksmith for you if you wish. If a child is locked inside the vehicle, the Fire Department will respond to remove the child from the vehicle. This may require the breaking of a window.

Someone has abandoned a junk car in my parking lot or on my property. Can the police tow it away for me?
The police department can only have vehicles towed that are on public property. Call a wrecker service in your area and the vehicle will be towed away at no cost to you. The wrecker service will notify the owners once they have determined ownership.

How can I find out if someone is in jail, when someone in jail can be visited and any other information about persons in jail?
Contact the Brevard County jail directly at (321)690-1500.

How do I get a copy of a police report?
The Records Section is open from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. There is no charge for reports to victims. A charge of fifteen cents per page for single-sided copies, and twenty cents per page for two-sided copies is charged for requests from other parties. If you need further information about reports call the Records Section at (321)723-3512.

What if I have a question about the status of my case?
Cases involving criminal acts which appear to have some basis of solvability are referred to a Detective for further investigation. To inquire about your case, call the police department at (321)723-3512 and ask to speak to a Detective.

Where do I go to pay my traffic citation?
Traffic Citations are processed through the Traffic Division of the Brevard County Clerk of Court’s Office. If you have any questions about paying for a traffic citation or you would like to set a hearing date, please contact the Clerk’s Office directly at (321)264-5283. The Brevard Clerk of Court also operates an Internet Web Site at:

Can I make a police report at any time of day and do I need to make an appointment?
The police department will respond 24 hours a day, seven days a week to requests for police assistance. The phone number for non-emergency assistance is (321)723-7788.

Can I make a police report over the telephone or does a police officer have to come to my house?
Some reports can be taken over the telephone by a Dispatcher, however, most will require an officer to respond.

My friend or relative is overdue returning home. How can I find out if they were in a traffic accident?
The Police department dispatch center does not have the names of persons involved in accidents available. If a person is injured in an accident and unable to call themselves, we will notify their family.

We have a problem with speeders in our neighborhood. What can we do about it?
Call the Police Department, ask to speak to a Patrol Supervisor and request that this area be placed on selective enforcement.

Should I report suspicious activity in my neighborhood?
ABSOLUTELY! The Police Department depends on citizens calling to report crimes or suspicious activity. You will be asked questions about the activity to determine its nature for descriptions of the people involved. You may be asked if you would like an officer to contact you, however, you may remain anonymous if you wish.

What do you have to do to become a police officer? How do you get in the police academy?
Contact the Brevard County Law Enforcement Academy for information on becoming a police officer and entrance into the police academy. The police academy is located at the Melbourne campus of Eastern Florida State College, located at 3865 North Wickham Road, Melbourne, Florida 32935. BCC also houses the Brevard Police Testing and Certification Program for applicant testing and assisting out-of-state law enforcement officers who wish to relocate to our area. The Criminal Justice Center can be reached by telephone at (321)632-1111.